As we walk the streets of Elmhurst and see how the community has evolved, it is good to have a history lesson on just how Elmhurst was incorporated. Here is a brief background:

Members of the Potawatomi Indian tribe, who settled along Salt Creek just south of where the city would develop, are the earliest known settlers of the Elmhurst area. Around 1836, European immigrants settled on tracts of land along the same creek. At what would become Elmhurst City Centre, a native of Ohio named Gerry Bates established a community on a tract of "treeless land" in 1842.The following year, Cottage Hill Tavern opened where St. Charles Road and Cottage Hill Avenue presently intersect.

In 1845, the community was officially named Cottage Hill when a post office was established. Four years later the Galena and Chicago Union Railroad was given right-of-way through Cottage Hill giving farmers easier access to Chicago. The community changed its name to Elmhurst in 1869. Elmhurst was incorporated as a village in 1882, with a population of 1,050, and legal boundaries of St. Charles Road to North Avenue, and one half mile west and one quarter mile east of York Street.

So there you have it. It’s interesting to look back to where the original settlers set up camp and what exists there now. Have any other Elmhurst history to share…send us a blog comment!